Home  |  Contact Us
menu-left menuright
About GLC
 
Introduction & History
Infrastructure
Right To Information
Spacer

Introduction

Home  »  About GLC  »  Introduction & History

Introduction

The Government Law College, founded in 1855, is the oldest law school in Asia dating even prior to the University of Mumbai, and enjoys a pre-eminent national and international reputation for excellence. GLC which has a rich heritage and pedigree, is the repository of erudition in the legal firmament and has had the privilege of guidance from eminent legal luminaries such as Dr. B.R.Ambedkar, Lokmanya Tilak, Justice M.C.Chagla, Nani Palkhivala and several others who have adorned benches of the Supreme Court of India and the Bombay High Court. Equally, students who have passed from the portals of GLC have distinguished themselves at the Bar, the Judiciary and the Academy. The fulcrum of the college has been its well qualified and dedicated visiting faculty who besides being successful professionals, make time to share their knowledge with the students, and the freedom enjoyed by students to work while in college.
 
 

History and Heritage

Inception

Until the 1850’s there was no formal legal education for legal officers and lawyers in this country. Sir Erskine Perry, the then Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Bombay, would deliver lectures on law after court hours. These classes were held on a very informal basis and were attended only by a select group. However, it was not till Sir Perry left for England in 1852, that a conscious effort was made to collect funds in order to institute a chair in Jurisprudence at the Elphinstone Institution. It was called the “Perry Professorship of Jurisprudence”. In 1855, Dr. R. T. Reid (LL.B Bar-at-Law & the first Judge of the Small Causes Court, Bombay) was appointed as the first Perry Professor of Jurisprudence and the Government Law School (GLS), as it was then called, was established at the Elphinstone Institution. The Government Law School has been affiliated with the University of Bombay since 1860 and is in fact older than the University of Bombay and the Bombay High Court itself.
 

New Premises

The name, “Government Law School” was changed to “Government Law College” in 1925. It was only in 1938 that the college was converted into a full-time institution. It began work under the guidance of the then Principal Mr. A.A.A. Fyzee. After this change of status, the Government of Bombay decided to allocate a plot, west of Churchgate station for the Government Law College building. The college now stands at this very location – a location that every Law School in India envies due to its proximity to the Bombay High Court and the affiliation with the country’s leading law firms.
 
   
© Copyright. Government Law College. All rights reserved. Home  |  Contact  |  Sitemap